It was eventually here and we were all so excited! We had already seen botanical week, patisserie week, pastry week, tudor week and many more. We were now left with the hardest week of all….. royal week!
We previously started with 12 bakers and now we were down to three: Jane, Candice and Andrew!
Challenge 1 included creating a three-layered meringue crown
- Candice pushed the boat out and created a four layered masterpiece with a small crown on the top, and she even got a handshake!
- Jane also excelled and presented her red, white and blue pavlova, with various fruit flavour compotes. We were even more shocked to see a double handshake from Paul… that had never happened on Bake Off!
- Lastly Andrew produced a fantastically mouthwatering meringue with crusty caramel, topped with pecan and pistachio nuts. Andrew was left without a handshake but he was still in the running!
They then were asked to create the classic Victoria Sandwich cake. They were not given any instructions, except one line.
- All of the bakers found the lack of instructions quite difficult but in the end all three produced three delicious bakes.
- Candice produced a sponge more dark in colour with seedless jam, which looked more like a jelly.
- Andrew presented a cake with even colour, and a nice jam.
- Jane struggled with this challenge and had not balanced the ingredient quantities. As a result, she had produced a cake with more rise and batter than needed for the recipe. The cake, however, did have a great flavour and a nice thick jam.
If you thought that was difficult, their showstopper definitely went up a notch! They were asked to create 42 little bakes, consisting of 12 sausage roles, scones, fruit tarts and keeshes, as well as a chocolate celebration cake!
- Jane finished with a sign of relief but had struggled a bit with timing, whilst Andrew had a spreadsheet to make sure he finished on time.. good old Andrew!
- Jane and Andrew both presented raw pastry in their sausage roles and lacked flavour in their scones. Both their cakes got approval from Paul and Mary.
- Candice and her positive outlook came through, and she created a beautiful hamper, fit for the queen, including pig themed sausage roles and perfect custard and rhubard tarts.
But now it was out of their hands and into Paul and Mary’s…. who would win the Great British Bake Off 2016…..
WELL DONE CANDICE!!
I hope you all enjoyed the series as much as I did!
Bye for now.